After listening to all performing bands I made my own timetable for the forthcoming Le Guess Who? festival.
Of course the timetable is to far extent determined by my taste and that’s why some of the choices can seem surprising. First of all I am not a fan of live performances of radically ambient artists. I try to avoid art for art’s sake. Hence I am probably not going to see any concert from 24-hour Dronefest. It is not only due to my attitude to ambient but also because of the rich program of the festival which makes it necessary to make hard choices.
Absence of huge names such Autechre, Bonnie „Prince” Billy, Ben Frost is also caused by the lack of my interest in concerts of these artists.
But there are also very interesting artists which do not stand in my timetable.
The toughest choices:
1. Deers – I was very excited about seeing the lo-fi band from Madrid which seems to be part of the recent female rock wave but not this time. Reason: another female – Sharon Van Etten
2. Jameszoo – unfortunately I will not see the Dutch producer who seems very interesting because of another Dutch band – Reason: zZz
3. Son Lux – absolutely non-banal and innovative artist is another victim of Reason: Sharon Van Etten. Too bad.
4. The Intelligence – Seattle-based garage group with very positive music plays at the same time as the legendary Reason: Swans. Sorry, I haven’t seen them yet.
5. The Oops plays their punk far away from must-see concert of Reason: Suuns & Jerusalem In My Heart.
Not that tough but still hurts:
1. Silver Apples – I really wanted to watch something from 24-hour Droneset but this concert is overlapping with both Reasons: Einstürzende Neubauten and Paus which in addition plays quite far away.
2. Xiu Xiu is also playing at the same time as Reason: Einstürzende Neubauten.
3. Julianna Barwick – one of the most interesting artists in ambient, but still not that interesting as Reason: Owen Pallett.
4. Perfume Genius – very hot name especially recently, but sometimes it’s better to choose something colder, in this case Reason from Norway, Jenny Hval.
5. Tim Hecker – another interesting ambient musician is overlapping with both Reasons: Swans and Cloud Nothings.
Despite these hard choices it’s going to be fantastic time. And artists that I can’t see at LGW I will definitely see some other time.